Watch: Colorado dog turns on stove, starts house fire

A curious family dog is to blame for a recent kitchen fire in Colorado

According to the Colorado Springs Fire Department, homeowners were awakened around 4 a.m. June 26 by a "high heat" alert from their Apple HomePod. They woke up to find their kitchen on fire. 

The homeowner was able to put out the fire before firefighters arrived, but he had to be taken to a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Fortunately, no other injuries were reported. 

READ MORE: Mysterious monolith reportedly pops up on Colorado dairy farm

Security video from the home showed the family dog snooping around the kitchen while his humans slept, accidentally turning on the stove that had boxes sitting on top. 

Curious dog starts kitchen fire (Colorado Springs Fire Department)

After talking to the homeowners and looking through their home security footage, we determined their pup got a bit curious and accidentally switched on the oven which had some boxes on top of it.

READ MORE: Red Rocks UFO: Workers say strange object hovered over Colorado concert venue

"This is a good reminder to always have working smoke alarms inside and outside every sleeping area and on every floor of the home, ensure all combustibles are away from your stovetop/oven, and know two ways out of every room in your home in the event of a fire," the fire department said.